April is National Organ Donation Month

April is National Organ Donation Month
Please sign your organ donation card today!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Reflection on Mother's Day

Fiona, I can't imagine our family without you. You are so special to us. You know when I found out I was pregnant with you I was less than excited. My first thought was oh no, not chicken pox again! Then we found out something was wrong with your liver and I cried and cried. I didn't want you to be handicapped in any way. After working years with handicapped kids I didn't want one of my children to go through all those things my students have gone through.

The whole family anticipated your birth. MJ was convinced you were HER baby! When the doctor presented you to me I knew you would forever change our lives. You were amazing from day one. You were such an easy baby even after surgeries and poking and prodding. You became a favorite in NICU quickly. You would sleep through anything so you got the spot by the telephone and the lights. You didn't care. If you weren't sleeping you were smiling. The competition between all of us to hold you was great. Daddy, MJ and Lauren all vied for snuggle time with you. When we got bad news you always proved to everyone it didn't matter what they said, you were doing it your way, not their way. You grew and learned and have become a special woman. You make us smile and give us comfort when times get bad. You remind us that it doesn't always matter what the doctor say, you are going to do it your way, even today.

You have made me a better person and teacher. You taught me to quit sweating the little things. I found out the world doesn't come to an end because the things you thought were necessary didn't happen. You have taught me how quickly time can come to a stop and how to breathe even when you can't imagine you could ever take a breath again. You have taught me that crazy is ok and laughing and smiling make everything better. You, MJ and Lauren have taught me there is only one thing that is important and that is your family. You are an incredibly strong, creative and determined woman. Thank you for being my daughter.

MOM

No comments: