April is National Organ Donation Month

April is National Organ Donation Month
Please sign your organ donation card today!

Monday, January 21, 2008

Maybe Light at the End of the Tunnel?

We went and saw the liver doctor this week. He was unaware of what had gone on with the other doctors and totally understood our frustration that Fiona isn't feeling better and we have no course of action at this point. He said he would be the referee and told us he agreed we needed answers sooner than later. He also said he would order his own tests and put pressure on cardiology to do what needs to be done to figure out why she is getting chest pains that are relieved with nitro. Yes, you see out of frustration with the severity of her chest pains I gave her nitro and the pains were gone in 2 minutes. If this was anxiety, lung pain, spleen pain, whatever, it should have done nothing. But instead the pains were gone. The liver doctor was going to reprimand me until I said the pains were gone. Then he stopped in his tracks. This was very significant. Yes, I know I took a risk. I'm tired of getting no where. I'm tired of just popping pain pills in her. There are so many questions and we are truly tired of hearing "she is so complicated" but leaving us there. She deserves a life. She deserves to know that those who she has entrusted her life will stand up for her. Today our liver doctor did that. Once these mysteries are better understood and dealt with, then she will be worked up for re-evaluation for the liver transplant. Yes, even through all of this, the liver is showing signs of further deterioration. There is a formula that has to be met and so far she doesn't fall nicely in that formula. As always, nothing is perfect and with the shortage of organs the selection process is very hard and slow. Please take a moment to be sure you have filled out your organ donor card and talked to your friends and family about organ donation. One very special life is depending on you!

No comments: